Sunday, February 2, 2014

Upgrade the Cheapy Bookshelf

You know those cheapy $15 big box store bookshelves? Come on you know what I'm talking about we all have them, or had them at one time or another...Anyhow- these things can't be beat. They are cheap, sturdy and just plain do the job. But the are pretty  freakin' boring. I have seen countless tutorials on sprucing them up, but here is my own twist. I wanted to spice it up, but quick, easy and painless (by painless I mean cheap).

We started with this black 3 shelf bookcase.




First I removed the backing, I didn't want to paint it since we are doing something else to this part (you will see that in a few).

Then I attached the new decorative feet ($1.30/ea at Lowe's).


I cleaned it up (with a wet rag), and then primed it (Kilz).


While the primer was drying, I took the backing (that I removed earlier) and wiped it down well. Then I laid out some fun coordinating fabric and cut it to fit.

Then I brush on some Aleene's craft glue, laid the fabric on the board and used my craft roller to roll out bubbles, etc. Then set that aside to dry.

Once the primer was dry on the main part of the bookcase, I used Valspar Paint + Primer spray paint (just to ensure smooth coverage). Then let dry for several hours.

Once the piece is completely dry (usually about 24 hours) I turned it on its face and reattached the backing with nails.

Here is the finished bookcase...not too shabby...I like it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment