Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pinterest Inspired...Towel Rack

Another Pinterest inspiration...seriously hubby has banned me from Pinterest until I get all of my current projects done....what a buzzkill (but he is right...my creative brain had spilled out into my home, I have to say it is kind of scary).

We have been working on our relatively small quaint master bathroom for a while. Not that we are doing a major reno we just kept getting sidetracked. Well I am on a mission to get this sucker finished once and for all.

Part of that is to replace the cheapy towel rod that the builder put in, but I wanted something cool and quaint like the size of my bathroom. Then I found, angels sang and it was magical...only kidding but I am sure you DIYers know what I am talking about. You know that moment when the thing that suits your vision to a "T" it is kind of euphoric...right?!?

Ok so now to knitty gritty...this is what I found, the inspiration-



So cool! But we don't need 8 hooks it is only the two us using the room...and ok I will admit it the one DIY thing hubby and I can't wrap our brains around is cutting crown moulding  Heaven help us we tried but it was such a disaster you do not want to see the results of that phase of the project...trust me!

This project didn't cost us very much...we were able to use scrap pieces of wood and I used paint I already had so really it cost us $4.67/each for the hooks and $11 for the poor crown moulding..RIP.

These are the hooks (Lowe's)  I purchased...I love them, they aren't to modern but not to frilly, over the top either.


These are all scrap pieces. I wanted a shelf on top so I had to think outside of the box on this one since we weren't doing crown anymore. The top board will be used for the shelf, the two smaller pieces will be the brace for the shelf and the larger board is the back piece (the main part of the piece) 


 Marked and pre-drilled for the hooks

All nailed together and puttied...now just have to wait for it to dry. I did also cut some small pieces (a couple of inches wide) to fill in the gap on the sides.

Now the dilemma was how to hang it, since the rack itself is a bit heavy and we are going to have a few small things on the shelf and of course the towels on the hooks. We decided that this sucker was staying up for good...at least until we decided to do a major gut and redo of the bathroom so hubby drilled holes (and counter sank screws so that I could putty and hide the holes). He put the screws right into studs so that we could be sure it would hold well. Of course this means that I will have to do the rest of the project with it on the wall, but we will power through (I need to touch up the wall paint anyway).

Now just waiting for the putty to dry so I can sand it smooth and add a touch more primer to those spots. Of course it is not quite so elegent (like the one I found on Pinterest) but it works for us.

Here it is with the first coat of black...I ended up using my new favorite spray paint, Valspar Color Radiance- Paint + Primer. In the pic below it is still a bit wet, but the finish of this paint is FANTASTIC. We have a store bought black cabinet over the toilet (just to the left of this) and the finishes are almost identitcal.



So here it is will all the paint finished and the hooks added.

And here is a rough idea with some decor in place (don't judge...still not finished)  :)   FYI- I decided to add a clock to the bathroom since we are always running late...maybe now we will have no excuse.

*I will post an updated pic once I am totally done, but you get the rough idea.

Here it is with my new towels (I love new towels, they are the BEST)



Total costs (for shelf)-
4 hooks @ $4.67/ea = $18.68
Wood- all scraps we already had
1 can Valspar Spray Primer- $4.98
1 can Valspar Color Radiance- $3.98
1 piece crown (that didn't make it, R.I.P)- $11

Total- $38.64 (now that's what I call a budget friendly project)

**I did opt to buy the clock (a little splurge @ $29), and I already had the flowers just threw those up there, and I bought new towels @ $9/ea (they are still in the washer as I type this).

No comments:

Post a Comment