Monday, June 18, 2012

No rest for the restroom!

Our small little hall bathroom is definitely one of the biggest work horses in the house, two teenage daughters will destroy any 5x8 space with a mirror in .6 seconds.Not only does this poor little guy get over used he is a bit blah (despite the cherry bright color). I have realized that I think it is was to severe in color and doesn't really fit with the rest of the house (except maybe Hannah's room which is hot pink/light pink and black. But I have to be patient, I am notorious for starting new projects before I finish the current one(s).

But I can start planning, no harm in that!

Current, non-conforming workhorse bathroom (image this colors 10 times brighter- the flash and the light took away a lot of the intensity of this color- a very vibrant aqua marine-ish color)
From the hallway



Shower from the hallway

From the shower

From the vanity

Ugly lights...thank you my builder man, but I will P.A.S.S.



The plan:
-Paint the walls a shade of gray (remember my new fav!), perhaps a tad darker than the gray in my bathroom out maybe the same since I need more for the master but definitely not a full gallon.
-Repaint cabinet (white is in serious need of freshening up)
-Spray paint light fixture white, or maybe just replace
-All accessories (towel rod, trash can, etc) are going chrome. But all the metal accessories I have found at the store that I like are pricey for all of the items. But I found what I was looking for at great prices (free shipping) from Amazon.com


The shower curtain:
Or maybe this one:

I think the second choice would be better, then I wouldn't be  stuck trying match frickin' towels to that purply maroony color in the first one, or if I wanted to change the accent color no biggie. Ok I have ordered the 2nd one, along with a towel rod, towel ring and new liner from Amazon. They will be here sometime early this week (today's Sunday).

Over the weekend I began working on some "blingy" art for this room, I wanted something that would add some POP, since the color pallete is really muted.

Check out the canister redo here

There isn't a lot of wall space to worry about dressing, since the area above the toilet holds a cabinet (I would rather not have it there but the vanity storage is lacking, GREATLY so my girlies need a little more storage space.) So the only space left to deal with, art wise, is the wall directly in front of the toilet- above the towel rod. So I had this basic "picture", just the cheapy stuff that you get at a basic store. I wasn't feeling the artwork inside (sorry jumped into this project so forgot the before pic). I didn't want the pic at all but the frame was the perfect size. So the idea was to create something different, so of course I glittered the frame, I probably would have glittered a lot more, but I stopped myself- after all it is only meant for "POP".

Then I was going to reuse the backer board from the original picture but it wasn't giving me the look I wanted, so I got creative. I painted the glass (I outlined the glass in red since it is hard to see where it is). The plan was to kind of backward paint, first the image then the background. I started with the branches (went with leaves and branches because the shower curtain has leaves and branches- wanted to tie them together a bit), done with white craft paint

Then I took my leftover glitter and mixed it with Mod Podge and created these little leaves...here is how I did it.
Just clumped a bit of my glitter/mod mixture

 Then with the end of my paint brush I moved the mixture around to form the shape I wanted and spread it  out a bit (so it would dry a little faster).


This is an almost dried leaf

Then I began painting on top of the white branches and the leaves with a light gray paint-
Granite Gray Apple Barrel craft paint


This is from the front of the glass after the first coat. I ended  up doing 3 coats, only because I was impatiently waiting for the second coat to dry so I put the glass in the sun and it dried too fast (guess that's what I get since it was 108* yesterday). After that little setback I just went over the cracked separated areas with more gray and you can't even tell. I finished the back by spraying a clear sealer over the paint. I was afraid that the paint might run (since this will be in the bathroom)

Here is the finished project:
My girlies and I totally LOVE it, can't wait to see it in the finished room.

YAY!! My items are finally here! So excited can't wait to put the finishing touches on the bathroom, the only thing I was more excited about this weekend was getting my Alcide (True Blood) fix for the week! Is it sad that this excites me so much? Oh well, I don't care!


Not quite finished but almost there. The only thing left to do is: (1)get lower watt bulbs for new light fixture, (2) frame out mirror, (3) caulk and (4) get another towel, I thought I grabbed two but alas there was only one :( , oh and (5) Do something to keep new rug from sliding like crazy on the floor, I almost busted my tail.













No comments:

Post a Comment