Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Choose To Shine- Lamp Redo

Holly Golightly would probably be bored out of her skull with this lamp...



So the first change we are going to make is to the shade (pity since the print is cute, but no beige in this room). I found a great black and white map of Paris and asked my printer friend to make me about 100 copies (for a different project- this was the leftover). I could have printed them myself but it only cost $10 and they are 11x17 so each map will cover a large area. 

My best friends :) My cutting board, square, Kobalt knife and extra blades.

My other best friends, mod podge, sponge brush and paper plate.

Here is the victim, see what I mean...cute print, right??

Step 1: Cut the maps into more manageable size rectangles
Step 2: Apply mod podge to the shade (depending on the shade material you may need to apply liberally), and apply a piece of the map, brush mod podge over the piece. Continue until shade is covered.
Step 3: Allow shade to dry to touch, once dry to touch add another layer (I did 2 layers, I suggest doing at least 2 then checking by putting back on lamp and turning it on.) Obviously the more layers the less transparent the final product will be.
So let's change it up and make it Holly-esque. 

The next step in this project. Paint the lamp base. I just used craft paint and then clear/non-yellowing sealer to make it shine and protect it.

Ok reboot...changed my mind and went a totally different way after I completely covered the shade. I found this great fabric at JoAnn's that matches the pattern on the comforter in this room. The plan was to cover the chair with this fabric but I had enough left over to use on the lamp shade.


I love it, I think it looks soooo much better than the maps...here is the finished lamp.


 I love that it kind of looks like an Audrey Hepburn-esque hat.




No comments:

Post a Comment