Thursday, July 12, 2012

Out of Hand DVD Collection-Organize

So my husband is a big movie freak, he pretty much buys every (and I mean EVERY movie he likes- or thinks he might like) and we often pick up movies from the $5 bin. Unfortunately out-of-the blue our DVD Collection grew from roughly 50 to over 400 in less than a year (In know, crazy right??).


Not our collection just wanted to give you an idea (I know some of you do not buy a lot of DVDs). This is roughly 1100 DVDs- if you figure about 30 movies per shelf. That is a lot of space I would rather use for something pretty!
 So hubby decided to build a cabinet specifically made to hold these gems. It was huge, 7' tall x 4' wide x 6" deep. It actually was a good way to go until our movie collection out grew this monster cabinet.

So our solution...CD Binders

They come in various sizes, and as long as you don't care about the case they are great! We removed the sleeve from each case and put it in the slot where the disc goes and the disc goes behind it (so it doesn't get scratched). We keep them in alphabetic order and we reorganize it about 2ce a year (to add in new purchases) and we try to leave at least one empty page between each letter to allow for newbies. Our collection is up to about 650 (not to mention the 40 or so video games we have as well) and we have 4 of these books (1 is used for the video games). We use a silver sharpie to mark on the outside of the book which letter range it contains to make things even easier.

**Added bonus if we go on a road trip the kids can easily just grab these books instead of choosing just a few movies to take with them!

1 comment:

  1. I like owning movies, because for digital downloads you need a credit card, and I do not have access too one. So I will continue to purchase DVDs, Blu-Rays and CDs as well. Itunes recently deleted a few of my movies from my account which I was not aware of, even though I paid with gift cards. This is why I hate digital downloads, you own it for a few months, and they remove it. Never using digital services again!

    ReplyDelete